Wednesday, January 10, 2018

INDOOR NATIVE PLANT UPDATE

Previously towards the end of 2016 I had done a blog post about using California native plants indoors (click here to read the post).  The ideas at the time was to try a Sage plant, a Coyote Mint and some Dudleya's.  The Sage did not survive.  Even the ones that were by the kitchen window getting what I thought was ample light did not do well.  The Coyote Mint did well for a bit until my cats figured out how to get to them.  Who knew that a 14 year old tabby cat likes to eat Coyote Mint.  The only plants that survived and are doing well are the Dudleya's.  Some get descent sunlight and some do not.  They get little water, but are still doing well (see photos). 

Given that the other two plants failed I just had to try another native plant.  In this case I am experimenting with Emerald Carpet Manzanita.  It can take some shade and minimal watering but because I have planted it in a small container, it may never really grow bigger.  As long as it stays green and alive then I will be happy.  As you can see from the picture the Manzanita had a red bark with dark green leaves.  This works perfectly as the color palette of my living room is a mixture of greens, reds, browns and blues.  I try to keep most of my pottery white to figuratively add some brightness to the space. 

I will update you in a few months to see how this plant is doing.  On that note I have to ask if any of you have tried growing natives indoors?  What has been your experience and what have you tried?  Comment below and share. 






No comments: