Tuesday, December 29, 2015

UPDATE: MISSION VIEJO LAWN REMOVAL

I previously wrote about a project in Mission Viejo that I was hired to design.  This project recently finished installation and I thought I would share pics.

In the front yard we redid the driveway with concrete and added a flagstone border.  The front walkway and entry was also done in flagstone in color: Oaklahoma Buckskin from Resource building materials.  The mulch was also from there.  The plants were California natives from Tree of Life Nursery.

In the back yard we used flagstone to create a patio, created a gravel path to the shed and reused some concrete forms to line the gravel path.  We also used California native plants as well as kept some existing plants that the homeowner's wanted to keep.

You may be looking at the photos thinking that there are not enough plants but there actually are.  I say this to all my clients...  It may look sparse in the beginning but once the plants grow in then it will be filled in nicely.  When I design I account for how tall and wide the plant will ultimately get.  If you over plant then your plants will be over grown and then a year later you will have a big maintenance problem of having to thin out the plants and even remove some.

Some of the plants that we used are:

  • Howard Mcminn Manzanita (Arctostaphylos densiflora 'Howard McMinn')
  • Sundrops (Calylophus hartwegii)
  • Desert Penstemon (Penstemon baccharifolius)
  • Coral Fountain (Russellia equisetiformus)
  • Coral Autumn Sage (Salvia greggii 'Coral')
  • Tecoma 'Solar Flare'




No comments: