Tuesday, December 8, 2009

IRVINE UNIFIED GETS AMBITIOUS

When I was a kid growing up in Irvine, CA I hated it when my high school decided to remodel. I hated the idea of change, but as I look back I realize that the changes were just what the doctor had ordered. In fact these changes added more classrooms and made the school feel less crowded. So when I read this article on the OC Registers website I was overjoyed.

The
Irvine unified school system has decided in a very ambitious master plan to install solar panels on most of their two-dozen campuses. The trustees of Irvine unified agreed to lease portions of district property to Sun Edison, which will install and maintain solar systems. It is estimated that this program could same close to $17 million in energy costs. The city of Irvine just might be the only city in California to attempt such a plan. Sun Edison will build and run these systems at their own costs and Rancho San Joaquin Middle School, will be the first recipient. This program is also education for the staff and students who can track the energy usage and learn a little something about solar systems and how they work.

No comments: